☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 tspcaraway seeds
2 tspfennel seeds
2cardamom pods, crushed
1 mediumlemon, rinsed and dried
1 mediumorange, rinsed and dried
1 bottle(750 ml) bottle vodka (pick a drinkable brand)
1 tspgranulated sugar
How to Make Aquavit
- Toast caraway, fennel, cardamom, and cloves in a small frying pan over medium heat. Shake occasionally until fragrant, around 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove a quarter of the peel from both the lemon and orange. Avoid removing the white pith; set the peels aside.
- Remove about 2 tablespoons of the vodka from the bottle. Either drink it or discard it. I say drink it!
- Place the toasted spices, lemon and orange peels, and sugar into the bottle with the vodka. Cover tightly.
- Let the vodka infuse at room temperature (choose a spot that is neither too warm nor too cold) for about 2 weeks. Turn and gently shaking the bottle once a day. After 2 weeks, taste the aquavit; let it stand longer as needed.
- Strain the aquavit through a fine-mesh strainer into a large liquid measuring cup; discard the solids. Transfer the strained aquavit to a clean bottle with a tightfitting lid and store it in the freezer.