How to Make Vovo's (Grandmother's) Rice pudding
- 1In medium saucepan add the water and salt. Heat until boiling.
- 2Add the rice and cook for 10 minutes medium low heat.
- 3Add sugar, milk and washed orange peel.(The orange flavor depends on the amount of peel you add. I like a little orange flavor, my mother likes it a little stronger. You may substitute vanilla for the orange, but the vanilla needs to added after cooking)
- 4Boil for an hour on medium low heat,stirring frequently.
- 5Remove from heat and remove the orange peel.
- 6Beat a room temperature egg and slowly temper with the rice mixture. This prevents the egg from scrambling in the hot rice mixture.
- 7Once the egg is tempered add to the rice mixture and stir until the rice mixture is a very pale yellow, you may also add the vanilla at this time.
- 8Transfer to bowl and allow to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 9Maybe served hot or cold.