★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 2/3 cwhole milk, divided
2 tspvanilla extract or seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
How to Make Vanilla Bean Pudding
- Bring 2 cups of the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- While it is heating, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and vanilla bean (if you’re replacing it with extract, don’t add it yet; if you’d like to toss the leftover vanilla bean pods in the pot with the simmering milk for an extra vanilla boost, go for it) in the bottom of a medium, heatproof bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the remaining 2/3 cup whole milk, a little at a time so lumps do not form, then whisk in the egg.
- Once milk is boiling, very gradually add it to the cornstarch mixture in the bowl, whisking the whole time.
- Return the mixture back to the saucepan, stirring constantly with a silicon spatula or wooden spoon. Once it comes to a simmer, cook it for one minute longer (which will cook the cornstarch and egg fully). Stir in vanilla extract, if you’re using it and divide pudding among 6 dishes.
- Chill in refrigerator until fully set, about 2 hours.[If you don't like pudding skin, just press a piece of plastic wrap against the top of the pudding before you chill it.]