Southern Banana Pudding
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6 oz. vanilla wafers (about half of a box)
- 3 bananas
- 3/4 cup whipping cream (or more if you’d like!)
- 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- few dashes salt
How to Make Southern Banana Pudding
- 1Whisk milk and egg yolks in a bowl and pour into a heavy saucepan.
- 2Add sugar, flour, and salt and whisk together until smooth.
- 3Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 20 minutes or until thickened. If it’s not getting as thick as you’d like after 20 minutes, feel free to add another teaspoon of flour.
- 4Remove from heat; stir in the vanilla.
- 5Arrange one-third of vanilla wafers in bottom of a small serving dish.
- 6Slice 1 banana and layer over wafers.
- 7Spoon one-third of custard over bananas. Repeat until custard is gone and you have a few solid layers.
- 8Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar to mixture, beating until soft peaks form. Spread over custard.
- 9Serve immediately or cover and chill for eight hours.