Simple Rice Pudding
1 tspvanilla extract, pure
3/4 clight brown sugar
·a small pinch of salt
1whole orange, zest
1 1/4 cshort grain rice
1/4 craisins (that have been soaked in rum)
1 Tbspbutter, salted
1/8 cheavy cream
·garnish with fresh ground cinnamon, or cinnamon sugar or orange zest - optional
How to Make Simple Rice Pudding
- Into a large pot add the milk, vanilla extract, sugar, salt, orange zest and the cinnamon sticks. Turn the heat to medium and cook until the milk starts to boil.
- Lower the heat to medium, and add in the rice and stir.
Next lower the heat to medium or low, cover and let the rice simmer for about 50 minutes.
You will need to stir frequently; once most of the milk has evaporated, you will need to stir constantly to prevent the rice from burning.
- After it has cooked for 60 minutes, taste the rice, check to see how much milk is left in the pot, if there is a lot of milk left, continue to cook until most of the milk has been absorbed.
- Next take pot off heat, then remove the pieces of orange zest and the cinnamon sticks. Add the butter, cream and raisins. Stirring well to blend it all into the rice mixture.
- Let the rice cool for about five minutes, then serve in small bowls, you can garnish with ground cinnamon and orange zest, or cinnamon sugar and orange zest,