How to Make Panna Cotta
- 1Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2In a 3-qt. saucepan, warm the cream with the sugar, salt, and vanilla over medium-high heat. DO NOT LET IT BOIL!
- 3Stir in the gelatin until throughly dissolved.
- 4Take the cream off the heat and cool about 5 minutes.
- 5Put the sour cream in a medium bowl.
- 6Gently whisk in the warm cream a little at a time until smooth.
- 7Taste for sweetness; it may need another teaspoon of sugar.
- 8Rinse 2/3 cup ramekins, custard cups, or coffee cups with cold water (do not wipe out).
- 9Fill each one 3/4 full with the cream.
- 10Chill for 4-24 hours.
- 11To serve, either unmold by packing cups in hot towels and then turning each out on a dessert plate, or serve in their containers.
- 12Serve alone or with fruit, drizzled liqueor, or purred raspberries.