Panettone Bread Pudding
I had a recipe from my Aunt Dorothy for a bread pudding with amaretto/rum sauce, and salvaged the dry Panettone by making this; and it turned out great, BTW.
NOTE: Prep time does not include 30 minutes of bread soaking time before baking.
- ¼ cup amaretto liqueur
- 4 tbsp. dark rum
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 (1-pound) loaf panettone bread, crusts trimmed, bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
How to Make Panettone Bread Pudding
- 1Make the Sauce:
- 2In a small bowl, mix the amaretto, rum and cornstarch to blend; set aside.
In a small heavy saucepan, over medium heat and stirring frequently, bring the cream, milk and sugar to a boil; whisk in the amaretto, rum, cornstarch mixture and simmer over low-med heat until sauce thickens (about 2 minutes) stirring constantly. Set aside.
- 3(Sauce can be made up to three days ahead; store covered in refrigerator and re-warm when ready to serve.)
- 4Make the Bread Pudding:
- 5Lightly butter a 13” x 9” baking dish; evenly spread the bread cubes in the buttered dish.
- 6In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, milk, and sugar to blend. Pour the custard over the bread cubes, and press the bread cubes to completely cover in the mixture. Allow to sit on the counter for 30 minutes, occasionally pressing the bread cubes back down into the custard mixture.
- 7Preheat the oven to 350º F. Bake about 45 minutes or until puffy and is set in the center.
- 8Remove from oven and spoon into individual serving bowls; pour warm sauce over pudding.