Original Nilla Banana Pudding
- 3/4 c
- sugar, divided
- 1/3 c
- all purpose flour or 2 t. cornstarch
- eggs, separated
- 2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- nilla brand vanilla wafers, divided
- ripe bananas
- additional nilla wafers and banana slices for garnish
How to Make Original Nilla Banana Pudding
- 1Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour, salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook uncovered over boiling water, stirring constantly for 10-12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- 2Reserve 10 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard on bottom of a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Cover with a layer of wafers and a layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make a total of 3 layers each, ending with custard.
- 3Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and gradually add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading evenly to cover the entire surface and sealing well to edges.
- 4Bake at 350 in top half of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Cool slightly or refrigerate. Garnish with additional wafers and banana slices before serving.