Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
How to Make Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In top of double boiler, combine: 3 Tbsp. flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 egg yolks, 1 egg.
- Add 2 cups milk.
- Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly for about 20 minutes, until custard is the consistency of pudding.
- Remove from heat. Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla, stirring into hot custard.
- In a round 1-quart casserole dish, layer the following: 1/3 custard, 10 vanilla wafers spread evenly, sliced banana spread evenly, 1/3 custard, 10 vanilla wafers, sliced banana, and 1/3 custard. Note: Use two large medium-ripe bananas, not too green.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the 3 egg whites until frothy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until mixture forms soft peaks.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the custard, taking care to spread the mixture all the way to the edges of the dish to keep meringue from shrinking.
- Bake 5 minutes in 425 degree oven until peaks of meringue are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm or let cool. This may be refrigerated, but bananas may turn dark when chilled.