Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
How to Make Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
- 1Blend sugar and flour together in a 4 qt. pan.
- 2Add milk and whisk with sugar mixture.
- 3Cook over medium low heat stirring frequently to prevent sticking or scorching.
- 4Beat egg yolks in a 2 cup measure. Add hot milk mixture to the eggs to temper and pour back into pan.
- 5Stir constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly. It should coat a spoon.(I prefer a wooden spoon).
- 6Add vanilla and stir well.
- 7In a 3-4 quart casserole dish layer vanilla wafers, then a layer of sliced bananas. Layer custard on top of this. Repeat layering until custard is the last layer.(It usually takes me 2-3 layers).
- 8Prepare meringue using egg whites and about 1/4 cup of additional sugar. When meringue beats into stiff peaks spread over custard.
- 9Bake at 375 degrees until meringue is golden about 15 minutes.
- 10Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers if there are any.