Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
·5 cups milk, whole
·1 cup sugar
·1/4 cup flour
·1 teaspoon salt
·4 egg yolks(save whites for meringue)
·1 teaspoon vanilla
·vanilla wafers or graham crackers
·5-6 ripe bananas
How to Make Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
- Blend sugar and flour together in a 4 qt. pan.
- Add milk and whisk with sugar mixture.
- Cook over medium low heat stirring frequently to prevent sticking or scorching.
- Beat egg yolks in a 2 cup measure. Add hot milk mixture to the eggs to temper and pour back into pan.
- Stir constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly. It should coat a spoon.(I prefer a wooden spoon).
- Add vanilla and stir well.
- In a 3-4 quart casserole dish layer vanilla wafers, then a layer of sliced bananas. Layer custard on top of this. Repeat layering until custard is the last layer.(It usually takes me 2-3 layers).
- Prepare meringue using egg whites and about 1/4 cup of additional sugar. When meringue beats into stiff peaks spread over custard.
- Bake at 375 degrees until meringue is golden about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers if there are any.