Natillas is a custard dish typically made with milk, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and cinnamon.
- 2 3/4 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 large pasteurized egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- freshly grated nutmeg
How to Make Natillas
1.Combine 1 cup milk and egg yolks in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk; set aside.
2. Combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually add remaining 1 3/4 cups milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in whipping cream.
3. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add seeds and bean to milk mixture. Bring mixture to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat.
4. Gradually add half of hot milk mixture to egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Add butter to milk mixture; stir until combined. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 25 minutes or until custard cools, stirring occasionally. Discard vanilla bean. Spoon custard into a bowl. Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap; chill.
7. Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until foamy. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
8. Beat in vanilla. Gently fold 1/2 cup of beaten egg whites into custard.
9. Spoon 1/2 cup custard into each of 8 bowls or footed glasses; top each serving with 1/4 cup remaining egg white mixture. Garnish with nutmeg.
Yield: 8 servings