My Savory Autumn Bread Pudding
Photos by me.
- (16 oz.) pkg. mild, sweet or hot ground italian sausage (i like johnsonville's)
- large shallot chopped fine, (1/4 cup chopped)
- large bosc pear, peeled and cut bite-sized
- large (or extra-large) eggs
- strips bacon, cooked crisp and broken bite-sized
- tbl. real butter
- tsp. dark brown sugar
- cups heavy whipping cream, (1 pint)
- tsp. salt
- tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- long skinny french baguette, 8 oz. loaf
- tbl. spicy brown mutard (or whole grain)
- (5 oz.) container crumbled blue cheese (1 cup crumbled)
How to Make My Savory Autumn Bread Pudding
- 1Place bacon on foil-lined, sided (not flat), cookie sheet. Sprinkle with a little pepper if desired and bake for 15 minutes in preheated 375 degree oven turning once. Remove to paper towels to drain and cool. Break into bite-sized pieces. In small frying pan, saute sausage until done, breaking into dime-sized pieces as it cooks. Remove to paper towels with bacon. Pour out grease, rinse and wipe clean. Saute pears and shallots in butter and dark brown sugar, (can sub light brown), for 5-7 minutes til onions are tender and pears are still a little crisp. Remove from heat and set aside. In large (4-cup) glass measuring pitcher (or small bowl), whisk eggs well. Whisk in heavy whipping cream, salt and pepper. Slice open baguette and spread insides evenly with mustard to cover. Use a tad more if needed. Slice first half lengthwise again, hold the 2 pieces together, and slice into 1" pieces. Spray inside of a deep, 2 1/2 qt. (or larger) baking dish with butter-flavored spray (I like Crisco's), and place cut up baguette pieces on the bottom to cover. Cut up second half of baguette the same way and place into medium-sized bowl. To bowl add the sausage, bacon, shallots and pears (butter and all), and blue cheese. Toss with spoon to mix. Dump over baguette pieces in baking dish. Arrange top nicely adjusting a few pieces to make it even. Slowly pour egg and cream mixture over evenly. Place baking dish into shallow roaster. Fill roaster 1" deep with hot tap water. Bake in 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes til knife inserted near center comes out clean and top is nicely browned and lightly crispy. Cool 5-10 minutes. Serve anytime of day for breakfast, brunch, lunch or supper! Prepare to be WOWed!
- 2*Tip: I always cook my whole pound of bacon in the oven, use what I need, wrap the rest in a clean papertowel and freeze in a ziploc baggie for ease of future use and a one-time mess/cleanup!
When you need to use some, take out how ever many strips you need, place on a sheet of papertowel and cover with another and microwave on high for 8-10 seconds until re-sizzling. Wah-lah!