Marbled Strawberry Mousse1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 3 pt
- hulled strawberries
- 3 pkg
- unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 c
- 5/8 tsp
- 3/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- egg whites, room temperature
- 2 c
- heavy cream
How to Make Marbled Strawberry Mousse
- 1Early in day or day ahead: Prepare collar for 1 1/2 quart souffle dish: tear off 20-inch strip of waxed paper; fold lengthwise to make a 20-inch by 6-inch strip.
- 2Wrap strip around outside of dish so collar stands 2 inches above rim.
- 3In food processor or blender, puree strawberries.
- 4Pour 1 cup puree into a small bowl, remaining puree into a large bowl.
- 5In 1 quart saucepan, mix gelatin, sugar and salt.
- 6Add water; cook over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved, stirring often.
- 7Into puree in small bowl, stir 2 tablespoons of gelatin mixture.
- 8Into puree in large bowl, stir lemon juice, vanilla and remaining gelatin mixture.
- 9Refrigerate mixtures, stirring often, until mixtures mound when dropped from spoon (about 45 minutes).
- 10In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 11In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form.
- 12Using a spatula, gently fold egg whites and cream into strawberry mixture in the large bowl.
- 13Alternately spoon strawberry mixtures from large and small bowls into prepared souffle dish.
- 14Cut through mixtures with knife to make marbled design, then cover and refrigerate until mousse is set (about 3 hours).
- 15Carefully remove waxed paper collar before serving.