(Lemon Curd) Lemon Cheese Filling and Icing
This is the best (and pretty easy) Lemon Curd.
It not only is delicious between the layers and on top of a cake, but it mades a wonderful filling for a cake roll, served overy berries, etc.
- 3 large
- 3/4 c
- granulated white sugar
- 1/3 c
- fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) **
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp
- finely shredded lemon zest
How to Make (Lemon Curd) Lemon Cheese Filling and Icing
- 8NOTE 1: ** ALWAYS USE FRESH LEMON JUICE - do not use the bottled lemon juice.NOTE 1:
- 9NOTE 2: I find that removing the stringy white substance (that balances the yolk within the albumin) and whisking the eggs and sugar - BEFORE adding the lemon juice helps to attain a smooth consistency that usually eliminates lumps from forming -no lumps = no straining.
- 10NOTE 3: You can store it in a air-tight jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week (If you don't want to use it right away.) OR if you are good at canning, you can prepare it in canning jars and have the treat on hand all the time -also makes great gifts!
- 11USING ONLY YOLKS: As I mentioned above, Mother used only yolks -this made for a darker yellowy-orange result. And the "holes" were more visible when cooking. I like it with and without the egg whites -but it is lighter (color and consistency) using both the yolks and whites. If you want to try it with just the yolks, use 6 large yolks.