Indian Pudding - From Old Sturbridge Village Cookbook
How to Make Indian Pudding - From Old Sturbridge Village Cookbook
- 1Modern Method:
Heat milk to boiling point. Add cornmeal and salt and stir well.
- 2Add molasses and spices, stirring to blend.
- 3Pour into buttered 2 quart baking dish and add cold milk.
- 4Bake in a 325° oven for 2 hours. Serve warm.
- 5Hearth Method: Heat milk in a shallow pottery baking dish on a trivet over coals. Add cornmeal and salt and stir well.
- 6Remove from heat. Add molasses and spices, stirring to blend.
- 7Add 1/2 cup cold milk.
- 8Bake for 4 to 5 hours in a brick oven. (The longer cooking period is necessary because the oven cools as time passes.) If a Dutch oven is used, bake 2 - 2 1/2 hours. (Note: I place my baking dish on a trivet inside my Dutch oven. This allows the hot air inside the oven to circulate all around the dish and to help bake it evenly.) Add fresh coals two or three times during baking. Serve Warm.