Grandma's Coconut Custard
Grandma's Coconut Cake
This is a very good custard and I'm sure it could have many uses but I've only used it for her cake.
I have cheated and used store bought toasted coconut to cut time and it works just fine. I have never tried it with the fresh coconut.
How to Make Grandma's Coconut Custard
- In a 1-1/2 Qt. sauce pan stir together egg yolks and sugar ; gradually stir in cream ; add butter & vanilla. Cook over low heat , stirring constantly until mixture thickens , and coats to a metal spoon, 15-20 minutes ; DO NOT BOIL.
- Cool custard for about 15-20 minutes.
- Spread coconut on a shallow baking sheet ; toast in a preheated 350° oven , stirring occasionally , until lightly browned , 15-20 minutes ; cool.
- Reserve about 1/3rd cup toasted coconut to garnish cake.
- Stir remaining coconut into the custard ; Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled ; at least 2 hrs.
- Use as directed for Grandma's Coconut Cake recipe.