How to Make Gelatin Rainbow Cake
- Bake cake mix as directed on package. Remove from pans to cool. Rewash pans and put cakes back in them when the cakes are completely cooled. It is best to use 2 8-9" round cake pans but you can use an oblong pan if you want.
- After cakes have been place back into pans (top side up), prick them with utility fork at 1/2" intervals.
- Meanwhile, dissolve each flavor separately in 1 cup boiling water.
- Carefully pour one flavor gelatin over each cake layer (if using oblong pan you must use the same flavors for the 2 packs). Chill 3-4 hours.
- Dip one cake pan in warm water for 10 seconds, then unmold cake layer onto serving plate.
- Top with about 1 cup whipped topping.
- Unmold second cake layer and carefully place on first layer.
- Frost with remaining topping. Chill.