How to Make Gelatin Rainbow Cake
- 1Bake cake mix as directed on package. Remove from pans to cool. Rewash pans and put cakes back in them when the cakes are completely cooled. It is best to use 2 8-9" round cake pans but you can use an oblong pan if you want.
- 2After cakes have been place back into pans (top side up), prick them with utility fork at 1/2" intervals.
- 3Meanwhile, dissolve each flavor separately in 1 cup boiling water.
- 4Carefully pour one flavor gelatin over each cake layer (if using oblong pan you must use the same flavors for the 2 packs). Chill 3-4 hours.
- 5Dip one cake pan in warm water for 10 seconds, then unmold cake layer onto serving plate.
- 6Top with about 1 cup whipped topping.
- 7Unmold second cake layer and carefully place on first layer.
- 8Frost with remaining topping. Chill.