Floating Islands (meringue/custard)
How to Make Floating Islands (meringue/custard)
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually pour in 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- # Bring milk to a simmer in large saucepan over medium heat. Drop egg white mixture in six separate mounds into simmering milk, leaving one inch between mounds. Poach 3 to 5 minutes, turning once. Remove meringues with slotted spoon and drain. Remove milk from heat and set aside.
- Beat eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in milk from the saucepan.
- # Cook milk mixture in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Let cool before stirring in vanilla.
- To serve, pour custard in a dish and top with poached meringues.