Flan de Queso (Cheese Flan)
How to Make Flan de Queso (Cheese Flan)
- Heat sugar in a small saucepan at high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon occasionally, until it begins to melt.
- Once it starts melting, lower the heat to med-high and continue to stir until the caramel turns golden brown. Remove from heat and pour onto bottom of 8-inch round cake pan.
CAUTION: The pan will become extremely hot!
- Place oven rack at center level. Preheat oven to 345 degrees Fahrenheit.
- WEAR OVEN MITTS!! Swivel cake pan so that the entire bottom is covered with the caramel. Set aside to cool down.
- In a blender, mix evaporated milk and cream cheese at medium speed until smooth. Add condensed milk, vanilla and yolks, one at a time.
- Pour custard onto cake pan covered with caramel. Place cake pan in the center of a 9 x 13 glass pan.
- WEAR OVEN MITTS!! Slide out oven rack halfway and place pans in the center. Add water to 9 x 13 pan until water level is about 1 inch below the custard. GENTLY push oven rack back in place and close the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes. The top of the custard will have a dry satiny sheen.
- WEAR OVEN MITTS!! Turn off oven, open door and gently slide rack out halfway. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- WEAR OVEN MITTS!! Remove cake pan from water and place on cooling rack. Discard water. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Cover pan with foil. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- Scrape the flan along the sides of the pan with a thin spatula. Cover with serving dish and quickly flip over so that the pan is on top of the dish. Rub the top of the cake pan in circular motions until you feel the flan has loosened.
- Gently remove the cake pan to reveal your masterpiece!
Cut into squares or thin triangles and pour some of the caramel sauce on each serving.