Drema's Homemade Banana Pudding
ps - Make sure your mixture is of pouring consistency. If not - add more milk. Pudding will be dry otherwise.
The pudding is best when made and allowed to set for a few hours.
Warning! Do not put a lid on your baking dish - the bananas will turn brown and ugly immediately!
Set your timer when baking - from experience I have actually burned the meringue! If this happens pull off the meringue - eggs white - start over! lol
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- flour, self rising
- 2 1/2 c
- milk (whole or 2%)
- large eggs, divided (reserve whites for meringue)
- 1 1/2 c
- granulated sugar
- bananas (slightly ripened)
- 1 box
- nabisco nilla wagers
- 1 Tbsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tarter
- 1/4 c
- lemon juice (bottled or fresh) diluted with 1/4 cup water
How to Make Drema's Homemade Banana Pudding
- 1Start heating water in double boiler. Peel and slice bananas, placing in a lemon juice mixture to refrain from turning brown. Meanwhile in a medium mixing bowl place flour, 1 cup of sugar, salt. Mix well and make a "well" in middle of bowl. Gradually start adding milk and stirring constantly until well mixed. Transfer mixture to the top of double boiler. Cook on med to med-high heat, stirring as needed. Mixture will thicken in approximately 10-14 minutes. When starts to thicken - remove from heat, add vanilla and stir well. Set aside.
- 2I spray a non-stick coating on the bottom of my pyrex or baking disk and wipe excess out slightly with paper towel. Place wafers in one layer, curved side up, Add banana slices to top of each cookie and inbetween. Pour mixture evenly over this layer. Alternate layers of cookie, banana and mixture. This usually makes 3 nice layers. I also add the wafer around side of my dish for a nice effect. (If mixture become too thick to pour just add a slight amount of milk and restir). Top off with mixture.
- 3Beat egg whites till peaks form. Add cream of tarter and gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Beat on lower speed till thoroughly mixed and stiff peaks form. Immediately add meringue to top of pudding. You can swirl with spoon or spatula to make nice peaks. Place in oven and cook for approximately 10-15 minues till peaks start turning a golden brown. Enjoy!