CUBAN-STYLE RICE PUDDING - ARROZ CON LECHE
There is also a children's game associated w/this recipe. Children get in a circle and join hands. One child is in the circle. At the end of the song, "Arroz con Leche" the child chooses someone else to enter the circle.
"Arroz con leche se quiere casar con una viudita de la capital, Rin, ran. Que sepa coser, que sepa bordar, que ponga la aguja en su canevá. Rin, ran.Me gust la leche, me gusta el café, pero más me gustan los ojos de Ud." There are other verses too.
- 1 c
- valencia type rice (short-grained only)
- 4 c
- milk (can use 2 %)
- 2 c
- sugar (can use splenda or truvia)
- 1 stick
- ground cinnamon to garnish servings
- 3 or 4 Tbsp
- condensed milk (optional)
How to Make CUBAN-STYLE RICE PUDDING - ARROZ CON LECHE
- 1Soak the rice for 1/2 an hour. Then simmer in the same water with a pinch of salt and the stick of cinnamon. Be sure water covers the rice well.
- 2When the rice is soft and squishy, add the milk and sugar. Simmer and stir continuously until the milk thickens and looks like cream. Taste for sugar. If you don't think it's sweet enough, add 1/4 cup more.
Add the condensed milk(optional) When the pudding coats the spoon you've used to stir it with, the pudding is ready to pour into individual bowls or serving bowls. Sprinkle w/ cinnamon. Can be served hot(warm so you don't burn your tongue) or cold. I have a cousin who loved to eat this w/pieces of cream cheese on the side.. It's good that way too, but it does add calories.