This sounded interesting, so I tried it. The surprising mix of the saltiness of the crackers with the sweetness of the coconut is quite good! My hubby and I liked it. I will make this again for my extended family.
It is easy peasy so give it a try!
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs, separated. ** save whites for meringue
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups coarsly chopped saltine crackers
- 1 cup shredded sweet coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
How to Make Cracker Pudding
- 1Turn oven to 350 D/F. Heat milk to simmer in a medium pot. Beat egg yolks and add sugar. Add this mixture gradually to the simmering milk, stirring constantly. Allow to cook for one minute and then add cracker crumbs and coconut. Stir until cracker crumbs are soft and mixture is thick. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- 2Pour mixture into buttered baking dish.
Make meringue: Beat 3 tablespoons sugar into stiffly beaten egg whites.
Spread with meringue and bake until meringue is golden brown.