This custard always makes me think of my mother. I can't remember a time where her coffee pot was on. Many a time we had to turn around on while starting out on a trip to make sure she had turned the pot off.
- 1 c
- raw organic heavy cream
- 1/2 c
- raw organic whole milk
- 2 Tbsp
- instant espresso powder
- ex large fresh organic eggs yolks
- ex large fresh organic egg
- 1/4 c
- bakers sugar
- vanilla bean or 1 tsp. of pure tahitian vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 oz
- shaved dark belgium chocolate
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted raw organic butter, melted
- cheese cloth
How to Make Coffee Custard
- 1Insert pan or roasting pan with a 1" of hot water in a oven at 300*. Keep a kettle shimmering of hot water.
- 2Brush the sides of 4 - 6oz custard cups that have been lightly brushed with unsalted butter. Set aside.
Split the vanilla bean down the middle and scrap the seeds out.
- 3Combine the cream, milk, vanilla bean and seeds and espresso in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to almost to a boil. Turn off the heat.
Strain the cream mixture through the cheese cloth while hot and return to pan, set it on the same burner to help keep it hot.
- 4Beat the eggs with the sugar till the sugar and eggs are well incorporated. But don't make the eggs frothy or thick.
- 5Remove the Vanilla Bean.
Pour slowly a little of the hot milk mixture, while quickly stirring, the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
Slowly pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture constantly stirring.
- 6Pour custard mix into Custard cups. Place the custard cups in the hot water bath. Pour enough hot water into the first pan till the water reaches about 3/4 to the top of the custard cups. Becareful not to splash the water.
- 7Bake 300* for about an hour or till custard has set. Cool and refrigerate.
- 8There are two ways I service this. One with whipped cream and the Chocolate shavings on top.
Or I make a Meringue..and top the custard with the meringue and use my little blow torch to make the meringue a golden brown. Then I add the shaved chocolate
- 9Do not throw your vanilla bean away. Just run it under cold water..dry with a paper towel.