We don't make it often, but when we do...it's gone! Usually holidays is when Flan is made the most...especially Christmas.
The 1 hour Prep time is just an estimate. It may take you less time.
How to Make Coconut Flan
- 1For caramel topping, heat sugar and water in a small skillet, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and turns golden brown.
- 2Pour syrup into a 1-quart baking dish or 6 custard cups, tipping to coat bottom and partway up sides. Set dish (or cups) aside.
- 3For custard, scald milk. Beat eggs; beat in sugar,salt, and vanilla extract. Gradually beat scalded milk into egg mixture. Strain into prepared baking dish or custard cups. Sprinkle top with coconut.
- 4Place baking dish in pan containing hot water which comes at least 1 inch up sides of dish or cups.
- 5Bake at 325F degrees about 45 minutes for individual custard cups, or 1 hour for baking dish.