Classic Creme Brulee
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Don’t let this recipe scare you - It is one of the easiest recipes you'll ever prepare and it will make you look like a star! I love creme brulee so much that it's almost always my choice for my birthday dessert. There are many variations and flavors that you can use but my favorite still remains this Classic Crème Brulee. The Test Kitchen
How to Make Classic Creme Brulee
- 1Preheat oven to 300.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is thick and pale yellow.
- 3Add cream and vanilla, and continue to whisk until well blended.
- 4Strain into a large bowl, skimming off any foam or bubbles.
- 5Divide mixture among 6 ramekins or custard cups.
- 6Place in a water bath, and bake until set around the edges, but still loose in the center, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- 7Longer baking time will be required for larger, deeper ramekins.
- 8Remove from oven and leave in the water bath until cooled.
- 9Remove cups from water bath and chill for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days.
- 10When ready to serve, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of sugar over each custard.
- 11For best results, use a small, hand-held torch to melt sugar.
- 12If you don't have a torch, place under the broiler until sugar melts.
- 13Re-chill custards for a few minutes before serving.