Chocolate Barley Pudding
★★★★★ 1 vote5
·1/4 cup regular barley
·1 squar (1 oz) semi sweet chocolate
·1 tbs butter or margarine
·1 tbs sugar
·1 and 1/2 tsp cornstarch
·3 tbs milk
·1 beaten egg yolk
·1/2 tsp vanilla
·1 egg white
·2 tbs sugar
·1/2 cup whipping cream
How to Make Chocolate Barley Pudding
- Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. Add barley. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Cool.
- In saucepan melt chocolate and butter or margarine over low heat.
- Combine the 1 Tbs sugar and cornstarch. Stir into chocolate mixture.
- Add milk and egg yolk.
- Cook and stir until the mixture is bubbly.
- Stir in vanilla and barley.
- In a small mixer bowl beat egg white on high speed of mixer to form soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining 2 Tbs sugar and beat to stiff peaks. Fold into barley mixture.
- Cover and chill.
- To serve, whip the 1/2 cream: layer pudding in parfaits with 3/4 of the whipped cream: top with remaining cream and walnuts, if desired.