★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 chalf and half
2 ccooked medium grain rice
1egg, beaten and brought to room temperature
1 tsppure vanilla extract
CREAM CHEESE VERSION:
6 ozcream cheese, cut into cubes and softened to rook temperature
2 Tbsppowdered sugar
2 Tbspcocoa powder
1 Tbsppowdered sugar
3/4 csemi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Cheesecake Rice Pudding And A Chocolate Version
- pour 3 1/2 cups of the half and half, cooked rice, sugar and salt into a large 3-4 quart pot.
- stir constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon or flat silicone spatula until the mixture thickens, 25-35 minutes. remove from the heat.
- place the beaten egg in a medium bowl. slowly add a spoonful of the hot pudding to the egg, whisking vigorously and constantly.
- continue to temper the egg with 3-4 more spoonfuls of the hot pudding whisking constantly.
- add the tempered pudding and egg mixture into the pot of hot rice pudding, stirring quickly to incorporate.
- return the pot to medium heat and stir constantly until the mixture boils.
- remove from the heat and stir in the last 1/2 cup of half and half and the vanilla extract.
- for the cheese cake version, stir softened cubes of cream cheese into the hot pudding.
- add the powdered sugar and stir well until the cream cheese is fully melted and incorporated.
- transfer the pudding to a large bowl. press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to avoid a skin forming and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- the pudding can be served warm, room temperature or cold and will keep well covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- for the chocolate version, add the cocoa, powdered sugar and 1/3-1/2 of the chocolate chips to the hot pudding.
- stir until melted and smooth. transfer the pudding to a large bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to avoid a skin forming.
- refrigerate until ready to serve. once chilled, stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
- serve warm, room temperature or chilled. it will keep well covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.