Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
How to Make Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
- 1For the bread pudding: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an large baking/roasting pan.
- 2Combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs until smooth, then work in the heavy cream. Add the vanilla, then the bread cubes. Allow bread to soak up custard.
- 3Place the raisins in the greased pan. Top with the bread-custard mixture, which prevents the raisins from burning. Bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until the pudding has a golden brown color and is firm to the touch. If a toothpick inserted in the pudding comes out clean, it is done. The mixture of pudding should be nice and moist, not runny or dry.
- 4For the rum sauce: Place the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Whisk cornstarch and water together, and add to cream while whisking. Bring to a boil. Whisk and let simmer for a few seconds, taking care not to burn the mixture on the bottom. Remove from heat.
- 5Stir in the sugar and rum. Taste to make sure the sauce has a thick consistency, a sufficiently sweet taste, and a good rum flavor.
- 6Serve pudding right out of the oven with the warm rum sauce...you can even top with whipped cream!