Bread & Butter Pudding
★★★★★ 1 vote5
6 Tbspsalted butter, softened
6slices thick, white bread
1/3 cdried fruit, such as raisins, currants or cranberries.
2 Tbspcandied peel
3extra large eggs
1 1/4 cmilk
2/3 cheavy cream
1/4 cgranulated sugar
·whole nutmeg, for grating
1 Tbspraw sugar
How to Make Bread & Butter Pudding
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Use a little of the butter to grease an 8x10-inch baking dish and the remainder to butter the slices of bread. Cut the bread diagonally into quarters and arrange half of them overlapping in the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter half the dried fruit of choice and candied peel over bread, cover with remaining slices of bread and add the remaining dried fruit and candied peel.
- Whisk the eggs well in a large pitcher, then mix in the milk, cream and granulated sugar. Pour the mixture over the bread and let stand for 15 minutes so the bread soaks up some of the egg mixture.
- Tuck the dried fruit and candied peel under the bread slices so they don't burn. Grate a bit of nutmeg over the top of the bread, according to taste, and sprinkle over the raw sugar.
- Place dish on a baking sheet and bake at the top of the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until just set and golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm.