☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/4 cunbleached all-purpose flour (divided into 3/4 c. and 1/2 c.
1 Tbspgrandulated sugar
6 Tbspchilled unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cchilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into 2 pieces
2 Tbspvodka, chilled in the freezer (i used whipped cream flavored vodka)
2 Tbspcold water
How to Make Vodka Pie Crust
- Process ¾ C. Flour, Salt and Sugar together in a food processor until combined, about 2 one second pulses.
- Add Butter and Shortening and process until homogenous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 10 seconds. Dough will look like cottage cheese curds with small pieces of butter remaining. Scrape down sides and bottom of food processor with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining ½ C. flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into bowl.
- Sprinkle Vodka and Water over mixture. Wish rubber spatula, used folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tack and sticks together.
- Flatten dough into 4 inch disk and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes but not more than 1 hour.
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on oven rack and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out on generously floured (up to ¼ C.) surface to 12 inch circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and unroll into pie place, leaving at least 1 inch overhang on each side
- Working around circumference, ease dough into plate by gently lifting edge of dough with one hand while pressing into plate bottom with the other hand. Leave overhanging dough in place, refrigerate until dough is firm, about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove from refrigerator. Trim overhand to ½ inch beyond lip of pie plate. Fold overhang under itself; folded edge should be flush with edge of pie plate. Flute dough or press the tines of fork against dough to flatten it against rim of pie plate. Refrigerate dough-lined plate until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pie pan from refrigerator, line crust with foil or parchment paper and fill pie with weights.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil/parchment paper and weights, rotate plate and bake for 5 to 10 additional minutes until crust is golden brown and crisp.
- Let cool completely before adding pie filling.