Upside Down Apple Pie
Blog was the Noble Pig.. a great blog and good recipes. Used the picture from her blog to show the pie but mine looked exactly the same.
6 Tbspbutter, melted and divided
1/2 cpacked light brown sugar
1/2 cchopped pecans
2refrigerated pie crusts (or make your own)
1 cgranulated white sugar
1/3 call purpose floor
1/2 tspapple pie spice
5 largegranny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/2" slices
How to Make Upside Down Apple Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degree
- Coat a deep-dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray also. Now, I have a pretty deep-dish pie plate,and it is a little deep for refrigerated dough (there is not a lot of hangover for sealing the two crusts together but it works fine). I think a regular pie plate would be fine.
- In a small bowl combine 4 Tablespoons of melted butter, brown sugar and pecans. Mix well and spread evenly over the bottom of the pie plate, on top of the parchment. Place one of the crusts in the pie plate, pressing it firmly against the nut mixture and up the sides of the plate. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon and the remaining 2 Tablespoons of melted butter. Mix well. Add the apples in and toss gently to coat. Spoon into the pie crust.
- Place the second crust over the apple mixture. Trim and fold the edges together to seal and cut some slits in the top of the crust for venting. Because my pie dish is so deep I seal the edges the best I can when using a refrigerated pie dough. I really can't fold and seal but it does't matter at all.
- Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until crust is golden brown in a 375 degree oven. (Mine took 1-1/4 hours in the bottom third of my oven.) Make sure to place a cookie sheet on the bottom oven rack to catch any drips from the pie.
- Let the pie cool for 5 minutes and then place a plate that is larger than the pie on top of it and flip it over. Use oven gloves as it will still be hot. Remove the pie plate and gently lift the paper. Allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.