Upside Down Apple- Pecan Pie
This tasty fruit-filled pie has a pretty topping of pecan halves and melted brown sugar.-A drizzle of caramel sauce won't hurt it either!!
Recipe and photo by Betty Crocker.
- 1/4 c
- butter or margarine, softened
- 30 medium
- pecan halves
- 1/3 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 Tbsp
- corn syrup
- 2 c
- all purpose flour flour-gold medal
- 1 tsp
- 2/3 c
- plus 2 tablespoons shortening, solid
- 4-6 Tbsp
- ice cold water
- 4 c
- fresh sliced tart apples
- 1/2 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/3 c
- all purpose flour-gold medal
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp
- or to taste -apple pie spice
How to Make Upside Down Apple- Pecan Pie
Cut 15-inch round of heavy duty foil. Line 9-inch glass pie plate with this foil, leaving 2-inches overhanging rim of plate.
Spread butter over foil lining.
Place pecans rounded side down, on butter.
In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and corn syrup; drop by small spoonfuls evenly over nuts and foil.Set aside.
In medium bowl, mix flour and slat. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender, until mixture is the size of small peas.Sprinkle with ice water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl- add 1-2 teaspoons more of water if needed.
- 3Gather pastry into a ball. Divide in 1/2; shape into 2 flattened pieces on lightly floured surface.Wrap in plastic ; refrigerate about 30 minutes(do not omit this step). This helps the shortening to become slightly firm, which makes the pastry more flaky.
Heat oven to 450^.
- 4With floured rolling pin, roll one piece of pastry into a round -2-inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate. Fold pastry into 1/4; carefully place crust over pecans and brown sugar mixture in pie plate.
In medium bowl, mix filling ingredients; pour into pastry . Roll other piece of dough into 12-inch round. Fold in 1/2; cut slits so steam can escape. Place over filling and unfold; seal and flute as desired.Turn up overhanging foil to catch juices and to prevent crust from browning to much. Bake 10 minutes.I always place the pie on a cookie sheet too.
- 6Reduce oven to 375^. Bake for 35-45 minutes longer or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits. Cool 5 minutes.Turn foil away from pastry. Turn pie upside down onto heatproof serving plate; CAREFULL very HOT- peel off foil. Serve warm.