TRUCK DRIVER MERINGUE
How to Make TRUCK DRIVER MERINGUE
- 1In a squeaky-clean metal bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 2Slowly add white sugar, and cream of tartar if desired.
- 3Continue to beat until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 4Pile meringue onto filled pie, being extra sure to seal the meringue to the pie crust all the way around the edges. Also be sure you don't have any holes down through the meringue. Any gaps where the meringue is not sealed to the crust, or in the meringue itself, will allow the meringue to crawl and gap.
- 5Brown in the oven at about 350-375 degrees for about 12-15 minutes until the meringue is nicely browned.
- 6NOTE: I list the cream of tartar as an optional ingredient. I used to always use it, but my daughter complains that she doesn't like the taste. Personally, I don't get a taste from cream of tartar. But I've tried to trick her on it, and she really can tell when I use it and when I don't. And my meringue performs equally well with or without cream of tartar. So, it's up to you whether or not you include it. I contend that the secret to great meringue (which I'm known for) is simply my Kitchen-Aid mixer -- not the cream of tartar.