Torrey's Key Lime-iest Pie
- 1 c
- key lime juice (must be key limes)
- 1 pkg
- (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can(s)
- (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp
- key lime zest
- whipped cream or whipped topping
- key lime, sliced as garnish
- 1 box
- gingersnap cookies (about 16 0z)
- 1 stick
- butter, melted
- 1/4 c
- 1 c
- pecans, chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp
- cayenne pepper (trust me)
How to Make Torrey's Key Lime-iest Pie
- 1Make the crust first. Pulverize the gingersnaps (I put them in a food processor but you can place them in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin). Combine crust ingredients in bowl, and press into pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 min. Cool crust before filling.
- 2A note about Key Lime juice: AlWAYS use KEY limes...they're the little tiny ones. Don't use regular limes--it won't taste right. If you can get them, use FRESH limes to make your juice. If fresh key limes are NOT available...I use bottled Key lime juice. Nellie & Joe's or Mrs. Biddle's key lime juices are GREAT.
- 3In bowl, add cream cheese and condensed milk. Beat with a mixer until light and fluffy-ish. Add juice and zest and beat until smoooooth. (reserve some zest for garnishing).
- 4Pour filling into cooled Gingersnappy crust. Chill. Garnish with whipped cream, lime slice and sprinkling of lime zest...or do what I do and mix the zest in the whipped cream for a tangy twist!