Three Sisters Pie
Blue Ribbon Recipe
We fell in love with the mix of berries in this recipe: strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Does it get any better?! Happy summer! The Test Kitchen
2 call-purpose flour
2/3 cvegetable shortening or lard
6-7 Tbspice water
1 1/2 cfresh or thawed unsweetened sliced strawberries
1 1/2 cfresh or frozen blueberries
1 1/2 cfresh or frozen raspberries
3 Tbspcorn starch
1/4 capple juice
2 Tbspunsalted butter, cut into bits
How to Make Three Sisters Pie
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the water 1 tsp at a time, tossing with a fork until the pastry holds together.
- Shape into two balls, one slightly larger than the other; flatten into disks.
- Gently toss the strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, with mixture of corn starch and apple juice in a bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes. Gently mix in the sugar and cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the larger pastry disk into a 12-inch circle. Fit it into a 9-inch pie pan leaving a 1-inch overhang.
- Spoon in the filling and dot with the butter.
- Roll the remaining disk into an 11-inch circle. Cut into 1/2 inch strips. Twist each strip.
- Arrange the strips in a lattice pattern on top of the filling. Trim the ends and flute the edge.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake 55 more minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream of course!