Tart Cherry Pie
I use Thank You brand canned tart cherries in their own juice for this pie. They are hard to find and other canned cherries can be substituted as long as they are tart and canned in juices. Frozen sour cherries can also be used. You would need 4 cups of cherries and the juice of a lemon for liquid. Thickener like Tapioca flour is needed for both versions.
Fresh sour cherries require no additonal liquid as they make their own, but do need thickener.
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 12 Tbsp
- butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 tsp
- 1/4 c
- orange juice (scant)
- 3 lb
- (one pound cans) unsweetened sour cherries, drained and save 1 1/2c cherry juice
- 3/4 c
- 1 1/2 cup c
- saved liquid from cherries
- 3 Tbsp
- tapioca flour (quick cooking tapioca which has been ground to a flour)
FOR A 2 CRUST PIE
How to Make Tart Cherry Pie
- 1Make pie crust. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2Cut in butter and mix with finger tips until somewhat like cornmeal.(Not quite as fine).
- 3Sprinkle OJ a little at a time from a spoon and very gently coax dough to come together. The liquid will absorb. Often I need less than called for, so take your time and don't get it over wet.
- 4Divide the dough in half and form into flat balls, and just squeeze lightly to press the dough together in each ball.
- 5Cover bowl with a towel and chill for one hour.
- 6While dough chills make filling. Place 3 cans cherries in large bowl having drained of their liquid.
- 7Add to cherries: 3/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 cups reserved liquid from cherries, and 3 TBS of tapioca flour.
- 8Allow cherries to sit a while and get ready to roll out the dough. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 9On a well floured board, roll out the first dough ball about 1/4 thick. Place in a glass bottomed deep dish pie pan. Cover with a damp towel so the dough does not dry out while you roll out the top crust.
- 10Add cherry mixture to pie pan with dough. The mixture will be quite full and watery. I often have more than my pan will take. Dampen the pie dough edges where the top crust will be placed with some of the cherry juice.
- 11Roll out top crust and place on top. Pleat edges and cut steam vents on the top dough.
- 12Place the pie on a cookie sheet with sides (like a jelly roll pan) and place on the middle rack in a 375 degree oven.
- 13Bake about 1 hour, the juices will bubble up through the vents a bit and sometimes it bakes over onto the cookie sheet below. The crust will be a warm golden brown.
- 14Cool on wire rack. Enjoy!