Sweet Potato Pie
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Caution: Keep an eye on the pie! This recipe is so good that when we looked away for just a moment, my little grandson helped himself to his mother's piece of pie... It's THAT good!
We followed Cherie's suggestion and used the leftovers from her Sweet Potato Wedges. We also skipped the glaze and it turned out wonderfully. Enjoy! The Test Kitchen
2 csweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (about 3)
1 1/2 csugar
1 can(s)evaporated milk (5 oz), divided
1egg, slightly beaten
19" pie crust, unbaked
2 1/4 tspflour
2 Tbspbutter, melted
2 Tbspevaporated milk (from the above can)
1/4 cpecan halves, optional
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put the unbaked pie crust on a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, milk (set aside 2 Tablespoons for use in Glaze), egg and vanilla.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes. Pour into the pie shell.
- For the Glaze, combine the sugar, flour, butter and 2 Tablespoons milk. Drizzle over the sweet potato mixture, but don't overdue it! If desired, garnish with the pecan halves.
- Bake for 1 hour or until crust is golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Tip: Sometimes I do not even use the Glaze; especially if I use the left-overs from the Sweet Potato Wedges. It can get a little too sweet!