Sweet Onion Pie
For this, you need sweet onions like the "Sweet Texas 1015" or the Georgia "Vidalia". Either one works very well! I use the Texas 1015's because I live where they are grown!
Next time I make this, I will provide you with a photo. This makes a beautiful-looking pie!
- sleeve saltine crackers, well crushed
- 1 stick
- butter or margarine, melted
- 2 1/2 c
- thin sliced texas sweet 1015 onions or vidalia onions (1 very large onion should be enough)
- 2 Tbsp
- veg. oil (or canola, corn oil, peanut oil, etc)
- 3/4 c
- milk or half & half
- extra large or jumbo eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp
- seasoned salt
- 1 c
- cheddar cheese (or other cheese of your liking)
How to Make Sweet Onion Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix crushed cracker crumbs with melted butter in a bowl. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a glass 9" pie dish. Bake at 350 degrees 10-12 mins. This sets the crust. Remove from oven.
- 2While your crust is in the oven, sautee sliced onions in veg. oil in a large frying pan. Sautee until onions are getting soft, but still tender. Drain well on paper towels and then place into pie shell, arranging the onions evenly. In a small bowl, break eggs and whip well with milk (or half & half). Add salt, pepper and seasoned salt and mix well. Pour egg mixture over the onions and top with cheese.
- 3Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool about 15 minutes before serving. This is best served hot or very warm.
Bon apetit' Y'all!