Strawberry Sheet Pie
Make the pastry for the crust a day ahead and you will have half the work finished for the day of the party. You'll only need half the pastry, the other half can be wrapped in two separate discs and frozen for double pie or two single pies.
4 tspbrown sugar
1 tspbaking powder
1 lblard (not shortening) i use tenderflake brand
·1 egg and 1 tbsp. white vinegar and enough cold water to make 1 cup
CREAM CHEESE LAYER
28 oz. packages cream cheese....may be light
1/2 cwhite sugar
·juice of half a lemon
2 Tbspinstant vanilla pudding powder
1/2 cheavy whipping cream
STRAWBERRY BERRY FILLING
4 lbstrawberries , diced
1 1/2 cwhite sugar
1large package strawberry gelatin
How to Make Strawberry Sheet Pie
- Put dry ingredients in a very large bowl. Stir it up with a pastry blender to evenly spread the ingredients through the flour.
- Cube the lard and cut it into the flour mixture until it is the size of oatmeal. Drizzle the water/egg/vinegar mixture over all the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until dough forms.
- Dump it onto s pastry mat and pull together to form a large ball. Don't overmix.
Divide the pastry in half. Divide half into two parts so that yoh will have three pieces all together.
Wrap the three pieces separately in plastic wrap. Chill.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For this dessert, take the lsrge piece of pastry and roll it onto a floured pastry mat or well floured counter large enough to come up the sides of a 13x18x1 inch cookie sheet. Roll the pastry up onto your rolling pin and transfer to the cookie sheet. Trim the edges along the top of the cookie sheet.
- Prick the dough with a fork every couple of inches and line the pastry wuth foil, pressing firmly onto the pastry , covering it all...extra doesn't need to be trimmed.
- Bake 10 minutes and then remove the foil and bake until evenly browned. Do nit underbake. Yiu want your pastry nice and crisp. Cool for one hour before adding the first layer.
- FOR THE CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
Beat the softened cfeam cheese together with the remaining ingredients and carefully spread evenly over the cooled pastry.
- FOR THE STRAWBERRY FILLING:
Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a large pot and stir to blend the cornstarch with the sugar. Add the water and bring to a boil, stirring the whole time.
- Add the package of gelatin and stir. Add the diced strawberries to the pot and allow to cool to room temperature.
Spoon the filling over the cream cheese layer and chill.
- Beat 2 cups whipping cream, 1/2 cups of sugar and several packages of whipping cream stabilizer or several Tablespoons of vanilla pudding. Using a pastry bag with a large star tip..decorate and then slice and serve.