Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
1-1/2 lbstrawberries, hulled and quartered (5 cups)
1-1/2 lbrhubarb, sliced 1/2 inch thick (5 cups)
1 csugar, plus more for sprinkling
·flakey pie dough
FLAKEY PIE DOUGH
2-1/2 call purpose flour
1-1/2 stickcold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1/4 clard (2 ozs) frozen and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cice water
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375 and position a rack in the lower third.
- In a bowl toss the strawberries and rhubarb with 1 cup of sugar, the cornstarch and the salt.
- Roll out the larger piece of flakey pie dough to a 13-inch round, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Line a 9-1/2x1-3/4 inch glass plate with the dough. Brush the overhang with water and spoon in the filling.
- Roll out the smaller piece of dough to a 12-inch round and lay it over the filling, press the edges together.
- Trim the overhang to 1/2 inch, fold it under itself and crimp. Lightly brush the top with water and sprinkle with sugar. Cut a few slits for steam to escape.
- Bake the pie until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 2 hours.
- Cover the edge of the pie with foil if it begins to darken. Let cool for 5 hours at room temperature before serving.
- For Flakey Pie Dough: In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt. Add the butter and lard and pulse 5 or 6 times until they are the size of peas.
- Drizzle on the ice water and pulse just until the crumbs are moistened.
- Press the dough into a ball. Divide the dough into 2 pieces one slightly smaller then the other.
- Flatten into disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm at least 30 minutes.