Strawberry-Rhubarb Custard Meringue Pie
I had this at a Chicken Barbecue at a Firehouse in Albion,NY. It took me several years of returning to the Barbecue to find out who baked this pie and talk her out of the recipe. It didn't take much talking she said in her 50 plus years of baking no one had ever asked her for her favorite pie recipe. I am so honored to have it and share with others. Thank you Mrs. Bertha Hellman for the wonderful recipe.
- one single pie crust, your favorite, unbaked
- 4 c
- rhubarb, diced and lightly packed
- 2 c
- strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 c
- 1/4 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 large
- eggs, separated, whites reserved
- 2 Tbsp
- heavy cream
- reserved egg whites
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1/2 c
- 1/3 c
- 1 Tbsp
How to Make Strawberry-Rhubarb Custard Meringue Pie
In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the diced rhubarb, sliced strawberries, sugar, salt, flour, butter, and lemon juice or lemon oil. Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes; the fruit will release its juice, and it'll be easier to cook.
- 2Separate the eggs, reserving the whites. Cook the fruit mixture over low heat for several minutes, until the butter is melted and the mixture thins out. Stir in the cream, if you're using it.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks until light. Add a bit of the hot fruit to the yolks, stir well, then add the yolk mixture to the cooking fruit. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
Place the pie crust dough on a well-floured surface, and roll it into a 12-inch circle. Place it in a 9-inch pie pan, preferably one with sides at least 1 1/2 inches high. Crimp the edges. Prick the bottom with the tines of a fork.
Place a second pie pan, pie weights or foil over the crust. Bake the crust in a preheated 400° oven for 18 minutes; it won't be browned, but it should look set. Remove it from the oven, and cool slightly before removing the top pan, weights or foil.
Baking: Pour the filling into the partially baked crust. Reduce the oven heat to 350°F and bake the pie for 20 minutes.
- 4MERINGUE TOPPING: While the pie is baking, place the the reserved egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium-sized bowl, and beat them till they're foamy. Add the sugar a bit at a time, beating until the meringue is shiny and holds a peak. Place the water and cornstarch in a tiny saucepan or a microwave-safe container, and stir well.
Over medium-low heat, or in the microwave, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently; it should thicken and look cloudy. If you're using a microwave, stir every 30 seconds or so, to prevent a thick layer from forming on the bottom. Beat the gel mixture into the meringue.
Remove the pie from the oven and spoon the meringue over the filling while the filling is still hot, making sure that the meringue makes contact with the crust all around the edges. Return the pie to the oven and bake for an additional 16 to 18 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned.