Strawberry Baked Alaska
Rev BJ Friley
Oven Temp: 450 degrees F
Tips: You may prepare pie ahead, freeze it and hold it for several days. Brown just before serving.
- pre-baked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 1/2 qt
- (about 6 cups) strawberry ice cream
- 1 c
- starwberry jam or sundae topping
- egg whites
- 1 dash(es)
- cream of tartar
- 1/4 c
- granulated sugar
- fresh strawberries, for garnish
- starwberry jam
How to Make Strawberry Baked Alaska
- 1Chill pastry shell well after baking.
- 2Spread bottom with strawberry jam or topping. Reserve a little to drizzle on top.
- 3Soften ice cream at room temperature. Beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- 4Spread ice cream evenly over bottom of pie shell, mounding it in the center.
- 5Place in freezer immediately while preparing the meringue topping.
- 6Whip egg whites in mixer bowl until very frothy.
- 7Add cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- 8Add sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time and beat until stiff and glossy.
- 9Spread meringue evenly over ice cream in shell to the edges to seal well.
- 10Bake pie at 450 degrees F until slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 11Drizzle strawberry jam over top, if used.