Strawberry Baked Alaska
Rev BJ Friley
Oven Temp: 450 degrees F
Tips: You may prepare pie ahead, freeze it and hold it for several days. Brown just before serving.
1pre-baked 9-inch pie shell
1 1/2 qt(about 6 cups) strawberry ice cream
1 cstarwberry jam or sundae topping
1 dash(es)cream of tartar
1/4 cgranulated sugar
·fresh strawberries, for garnish
How to Make Strawberry Baked Alaska
- Chill pastry shell well after baking.
- Spread bottom with strawberry jam or topping. Reserve a little to drizzle on top.
- Soften ice cream at room temperature. Beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Spread ice cream evenly over bottom of pie shell, mounding it in the center.
- Place in freezer immediately while preparing the meringue topping.
- Whip egg whites in mixer bowl until very frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time and beat until stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue evenly over ice cream in shell to the edges to seal well.
- Bake pie at 450 degrees F until slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drizzle strawberry jam over top, if used.