Spring Flowers Fruit Empanadas !
The children love them and help to make them... and we let them pick what flavors to make and which will be first.
*** Sometimes we don't sugar coat them, sometimes we make a frosting drizzle or eat them plain.
*** These are so easy to make... and a lot of fun for the family.
*** Perfect dessert to end a Mexican style dinner... OR any dinner!
Play With Your Food!
2 pkg(2 to a pack) pie crust (pre-made and pre-rolled)
·flour (for rolling crust)
1 can(s)cherry pie filling
1 can(s)apple pie filling
1 can(s)blueberry pie filling
OIL FOR FRYING
·about 4 inches of vegetable oil in a deep sauce pan
1 csugar (you can also use powdered sugar)
How to Make Spring Flowers Fruit Empanadas !
- Spread flour on surface to roll the pie crust thinner and bigger (about 10 x 15 inches).
Using a 4-inch circle cutter (or glass rim), cut out as many circles of dough as you can.
- Open a can of pie filling and put a teaspoon in it.
Get a small amount of water in a saucer to dip your fingers in to dampen the pie crust circle's outer edge (about 1/8 of an inch around).
Placing one circle of dough on a dry plate, dampen the outer edge with water.
Spoon about 3 cherries into the center of the dough circle.
- Take a second circle of dough, gently roll it a tiny bit larger. Place it over the one with water and fruit. Press them together around the edges.
- Fold over a little piece of the edge and press down. Skip a spot and fold another piece of the dough edge over and press down. Repeat until you go all the way around the circle of dough. It will look like a flower.
- Repeat the above steps until you want to switch to a different flavor of pie filling.
Put about the same amount of pie filling in that you had been doing. Repeat process until all are done.
I Put them on a wax paper lined baking sheet to keep them from sticking, while making more.
- Heat the oil. Depending on the size of your pan, cook one or two at a time. They cook very fast! The crust will be a pretty golden brown. (About 35 seconds on each side). Remove Empanadas from oil with slotted spoon and place on paper towel lined plate to drain and cool slightly.
- Put sugar and cinnamon into a large bowl and mix together well. Put warm Empanadas into the sugar mixture and sprinkle tops with sugar (I do two at a time). Place on a platter and when all are done... Serve!