Simple Yooper Style Pasty Pie an original recipe by: Cathy Hurkmans Tolman
Cathy Hurkmans Tolman
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 med to large onion chopped fine
- 1 - 2 pound bag southern style ( the cubed kind) frozen hashbrowns
- 1 can beef broth or 1 ½ c. hot water mixed with 1 tbs.beef soup base
- 1 ½ to 2 cups matchstick or fine chopped carrots
- 2 cans diced rutabagas – drained
- 4 ready to use premade pie crusts
Mix all ingredients ( except the pie crusts) well in a large mixing bowl. It works best to use your hands to mix.
Add salt & pepper (to taste) ,a little at a time , as you mix. That allows the salt & pepper to get mixed in better.
Place a single crust into each of two deep dish pie plates, press in. Divide meat mixture between the two crusts and pat it down some to hold it together well, it should be well above the depth of the pie plate,be sure to keep it pretty even across so it will cook evenly.
Use the other two crusts as tops. Pinch edges together all the way around and cut off excess crust. Cut a few 1 inch slits in top of each pie. Brush edges of crust with a little milk to keep them softer.
Bake about 1 hour and 20 minutes at 350* uncovered. If using foil pie plates bake them on a baking sheet. Let the pies set for about 10 minutes before cutting.