Shaker Rhubarb Pie
She would sometimes double the recipe by adding 4 cups of fresh strawberries cut up and 1 package of strawberry jello. I like it both ways!
One of the photos is an Apple / Rhubarb Pie just to show another variation. We change ingredients according to what we have on hand. Plus... we love to Play With Our Food!
I just can't wait for summer!
- pie crust to make bottom and top crust (your favorite recipe)
- 3 c
- fresh rhubarb (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 2 c
- brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- 5 Tbsp
- 1/8 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- sour cream
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cinnamon
How to Make Shaker Rhubarb Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Prepare your pie crust to make a top and bottom crust.
- 3Combine the flour, sugar, spices, sour cream and cut up rhubarb. Mix together well.
Pour into the prepared pie shell. Dot the entire top of the pie with butter.
Place the top crust on the pie. Seal the edges in a pretty manor. Cut a couple slits in the center of the top crust to make steam vents.
*** If you want to get fancy, cut steam holes in teardrop shapes with tip of sharp knife, or even use tiny cookie cutters to make other shapes (you can also use the cut outs as decorations on the top of the pie).
- 4Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn the heat down to 350 degrees and continue baking about 20 to 30 minutes or until filling is tender and the crust is browned.
- 5We change the recipe by changing ingredients, for example using strawberries and Jello or adding sliced apples.