1Rum Bisque Pie
Submitted by Janis Boyer
"Simply Heaven on earth! The perfect dessert that will get raves from all your guests! Excellent for Thanksgiving, Christmas or anytime. It's been a tradition in our family since 1977."
o 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
o 3 tablespoons cold water
o 1 tablespoon rum (May be coconut flavored)
o 3 eggs ( Separated and Room temperature)
o 1/2 cup sugar
o 1 teaspoon vanilla
o 1/2 cup whole milk
o 1/4 teaspoon salt
o 1 cup soft macaroons crumbled coarsely not finely
o 1/4 cup dark rum
o 2 tablespoons sugar
o 1 cup heavy whipping cream
o 1 baked pie crusts ( 9 inch)
o 1 (32 ounce) container Cool Whip Topping
o Toasted sliced almonds, for garnishment
1. In small bowl, soften gelatin in 3 T. water and 1 T. rum; set aside.
2. Bake pie shell as directed on package.
3. Lightly toast almonds; set aside.
4. In a medium sauce pan, combine egg yolks and 1/2 c sugar. Mix until blended.
5. Add salt and milk to sauce pan, cooking over a low heat while stirring constantly until thickened and smooth. Be sure not to overcook. Remove from heat.
6. Add gelatin, 1 t. vanilla, and macaroons stirring well to form custard mixture.
7. In separate bowl, beat whipping cream until well thickened.
8. Fold whipping cream gently into custard mixture.
9. Beat room temperature egg whites in separate bowl adding 2 T sugar until stiff peaks are formed.
10. Gently fold egg whites into custard mixture. This does not need to be perfectly folded inches Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes (this will make it easier while spooning into pie shell).
11. Spoon chilled mixture into baked pie shell.
12. Garnish with 3/4 tub Cool Whip and toasted almonds.
13. Chill in refrigerator 4-6 hours.