Rocking Apple Pie Filling
Ruth Ann Vokac
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
7-8medium large apples, peeled, and sliced in 1/4" slices--i like to use a variety of cooking apples.
2 tspsimple sugar* (or use calvados or rum)
1 tspground cinnamon
1/4 tspground all-spice
How to Make Rocking Apple Pie Filling
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and cook until sizzling. Add the apples and toss so you cover them with butter. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook until softened slightly, around 5-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine sugar, syrup (or alcohol), cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
* Note: Simple syrup is a mixture of equal parts of water and sugar--cook until water boils and sugar dissolves.
- Add the sugar/spice mixture to the slightly softened apples in the skillet and increase heat. Cook until the juices are thick. This happens quickly, about 2-3 minutes
- Use this filling with your favorite pie crust or cobbler recipe that calls for apple pie filling. Or serve alone as a hot fruit--it's great over pancakes or French toast!