Rocking Apple Pie Filling
Ruth Ann Vokac
- medium large apples, peeled, and sliced in 1/4" slices--i like to use a variety of cooking apples.
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- 2 tsp
- simple sugar* (or use calvados or rum)
- 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp
- ground all-spice
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
How to Make Rocking Apple Pie Filling
- 1In a large skillet, melt the butter and cook until sizzling. Add the apples and toss so you cover them with butter. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook until softened slightly, around 5-7 minutes.
- 2In the meantime, combine sugar, syrup (or alcohol), cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
* Note: Simple syrup is a mixture of equal parts of water and sugar--cook until water boils and sugar dissolves.
- 3Add the sugar/spice mixture to the slightly softened apples in the skillet and increase heat. Cook until the juices are thick. This happens quickly, about 2-3 minutes
- 4Use this filling with your favorite pie crust or cobbler recipe that calls for apple pie filling. Or serve alone as a hot fruit--it's great over pancakes or French toast!