- 3 lb
- ricotta cheese
- 1 c
- 8 large
- 8 oz
- jar maraschino cherries, halved (reserve juice)
- 1 large
- chocolate bar(milk or semi-sweet), grated
- juice of 1 orange, or tsp. vanilla
- 2 c
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- shortening or butter
- egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp
- grated zest of orange
- *optional: use pillsbury refrigerated pie crust dough
How to Make Ricotta Pie
- 1For crust: Combine flour, sugar, and salt. Combine with orange zest and shortening. Add egg yolks one at a time. Work with hands until dough is manageable. Add milk only to desired consistency. Form into ball, and cover for 30 minutes. Press dough into bottom(& very slightly up sides) of deep 10" springform pan.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3For filling: Beat ricotta and sugar, then add eggs 1 at a time mixing until incorporated. Add orange juice(or vanilla), and reserved maraschino cherry juice. Mix until well blended. Fold in by hand the cherries and grated chocolate.
- 4Pour filling in crust. Optional: grate some extra chocolate on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until top lightly browned. Turn off oven and cool in oven with door open. Serve chilled or room temp.