Rhubarb Pie - Grams Way
She used to say if I wanted runny rhubarb pie I would just make a bowl of sauce and use that ..lol! She was quite the character.
1 1/2 csugar, or more depending how tart your rhubarb is
5 - 6 stalk(s)rhubarb ( 5 cups ) depending on how big the stalks are.
1/2 tspcinnamon ( optional )
1 Tbspcorn starch
1 1/2 Tbsplemon juice
2 Tbspunsalted, butter
·milk and sugar for crust (optional)
2 - 9inch prepared pie crust.
How to Make Rhubarb Pie - Grams Way
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pour the sugar and flour into the large mixing bowl, mixing them well. Add the cinnamon and salt, continuing mixing until everything is mixed evenly.
Measure out 2/3 cup of this mixture and sprinkle it over the bottom and inside of the crust dough in the pie pan, making sure not to get any on the rim edge of crust.
- Dice the washed rhubarb until you have 5 cups.
Spread the cups of diced rhubarb into the pie pan on top of the flour mixture. Add the corn starch to remaining sugar mixture and sprinkle remaining sugar mixture over rhubarb.
Sprinkle the lemon juice over the rhubarb, then dot with small squares of the butter. ( I added a few drops of red food coloring to the lemon juice ).
- Roll out the remaining pastry into a round large enough to cover the rhubarb with lots of overhang. Seal around the edges of the pie, trim and flute.
Cut a few slashes in the top of the pie to vent for steam. Brush the top with milk and dust with sugar. ( totally optional ).
- Place onto a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is cooked and bubbling. Allow to cool to at least warm before cutting.
I bake mine at 425 degrees for the first 10 minutes, reduce heat to 400 and bake until a thin knife slides through the rhubarb with ease.