Rhubarb Apple Pie
How to Make Rhubarb Apple Pie
- 1Combine the flour, salt, sugar and xylitol. You can also use all sugar here if you don't have xylitol.
- 2Cut up the fruit and put it into a large bowl and add the flour mixture.
- 3Let it sit for 20 minutes.
Preheat your oven at this point to 400'F.
- 4Make your pie crust. I used my Easy Spelt Pie Crust. It makes 2-9" pie shells.
- 5Put the bottom pie crust into your pie dish. Add the fruit and dot with the vegan margarine and cover with the top crust. I fluted and decorated mine with a flower and some leaves. I like using up the remnants of pie crust I have. Brush the pie with some beaten egg and sprinkle with a little sugar. This will make the crust crispy. Cut steam holes in the top crust.
- 6Put the pie on a cookie sheet.
Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 400'F, then turn the heat down to 350'F and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes. At this point check the edges, if they're getting brown cover the edges with an aluminum foil protector or make your own. I have a metal one that just fits on top of a 9" pie perfectly.
- 7When the pie is done, it should be bubbling when you remove it from the oven. If you aren't sure if it's done, insert a knife into one of the steam holes, the fruit should be soft.
- 8Let it cool on a rack for a 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.